Concerning The American Legion’s upcoming 60th Washington Conference, March 8 – 11, 2020 (“AL60WDC”).
We are on course for a great conference featuring many meetings, training sessions, amazing speakers and plenty of networking opportunities for you to see old friends and make new ones.
Like you, we at The American Legion (“TAL”) have been monitoring the situation involving COVID-19, the coronavirus. Our top priority is your health and safety at TAL.
With that in mind, I want to take a moment to let you know of everything TAL is doing to ensure that those attending enjoy a full, exciting and healthy AL60WDC experience.
(1) We have been in contact with the Washington DC City Health Department to let them know of our conference and open lines of communications.
(2) We have been in discussions with visitors’ bureaus, health professionals and other associations to gain an understanding of the true travel and health environments across North America and around the world.
(3) We continue to monitor announcements and updates from the U.S. Department of Labor (https://www.dol.gov/newsroom/releases) and the Centers for Disease Control (https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices) and will take our guidance from them and other key agencies.
(4) At AL60WDC, we will institute the following policies and procedures:
· We are encouraging participants to make AL60WDC a "handshake-free" meeting – “fist-bumps” are the new norm.
· We will be providing hand sanitizers and recommending hand washing as much as possible – CDC recommends you wash for at least 20 seconds.
· We will have our American Legion staff onsite in the Holmead room in case participants are feeling unwell and would like medical guidance.
· The Washington Hilton hotel is increasing the amount of hand sanitizing stations that are available throughout the facility and taking a pro-active approach to cleaning the facility every day.
Once again, let me assure you, we are focused on our participants’ health, safety and comfort for AL60WDC. I hope to see you next week in Washington DC!
DANIEL S. WHEELER