Good afternoon VSO partners,
Below are some bullet points about the VA’s PHASER Pharmacogenomics PGx Testing Program that was discussed in yesterday’s VSO meeting. Please feel free to contact me if you need anything or have any questions. https://www.cancer.va.gov/phaser.asp
- Pharmacogenomics is a genetic and metabolic blood test ran at Sanford labs in Sioux Falls SD, detecting if the Veteran will have any side effects to 40+ medications commonly prescribed to our Veterans throughout our nation. The current service medications the Veterans are being tested on are Mental Health, Cardiovascular, Pain, Anti-inflammatory, Gastrointestinal, Infectious disease and Oncology. Once the blood is used in the lab it is discarded of.
- Free to Veterans who are enrolled and obtaining services at any participating VA.
- A Veteran can have a lab order placed from either their PCP or any provider they have an appointment with. Or they can contact Shannon Peterson at 602-277-5551 ext. 4036.
- Providers within the VA will have access to the lab results, along with the Veteran. The ordering provider will set an appointment for the interpretation of the lab results as well. This program does not impact the care of the Veteran, it enhances the care of the Veteran. This program provides streamline medication decision making, taking the trial and error process from the Veteran’s and assisting the provider in prescribing the proper medication and correct dosage of medication.
- The time to get tested is now. A standing lab order that is good for 30 days and can be done as a walk in or appointment at any CBOC or the Main hospital in the outpatient labs.
- Testing is done at the Veterans leisure; as long as they have a standing outpatient lab order for Pharmacogenomics.
- The testing alone will not only help eliminate the trial and error process for the Veterans, it will assist the Veteran as a whole throughout their care at the Phoenix VA
James Fawbush, USA (Ret.)
Public Affairs Specialist
Public Affairs/Medical Media
Phoenix VA Health Care System
Office: 602-277-5551 ext. 6036
Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255 PRESS 1